Tuesday, June 12, 2012

it was like i had died and gone to "law & order" heaven...


…if you’re like me, then you’re a fan – scratch that – a SUPERfan of “law & order” …and yes; I mean all of them. (I was even getting into “law & order LA”, and now I’m haunted by by the notion that dt. jaruszalski will forever be chasing dt. winters’ killers in limbo… somebody needs to do an episode of SVU where they investigate the rash of murders of all the ‘law&order’ shows, I mean, it’s like a friggin serial killer targeted them all at the same time).

And that’s the reason why auditioning for, and shooting, “mr. 3000” was so damn surreal for me.

Chuck (the director) scheduled the auditions to begin first thing in the morning at some studio in midtown manhattan.   I was one of the first people to audition (robert pastorelli and casey affleck were the other actors there that morning… I’ve got a story about that too, but that’s for later).   After I finished, chuck told me to hang-out for a while and we’d hang-out after he was done.   So, I got some breakfast, visited my agent, did some general lolly-gagging around the city, then went back to the studio around 3pm.   The place was jam-packed, crawling with actors, folks were even standing in the hallways.   Right after I got there, my boy paul (the other ‘whassup’ guy) came bounding out of the room, I had no idea he was going to be there.   We greeted each other with our customary enthusiasm & ball-busting, then we posted up in the hallway, shootin’ the shit.   Where we were standing, we were right across from the doorway to the studio, so people had to walk right toward us as they left the room.   as we’re standing there talking, who comes walking out the room; muthafukin tamara tunie - the coroner from “SVU”…

 










  







 (and she is even finer in person than on TV)  
I guess I was in one of my more playful moods that day, so, as she walks out of the room (looking down as she put some things into her bag), I say to her; “um, excuse me…you’re just going to walk by and not speak?”   she stops in her tracks and looks up at me, but says nothing.   So I continue; “you were in my living room, just last night, and now you gonna act like you don’t even know me???”   …now here’s the freaky part.   She gets this look on her face …kinda like this:














…then she walks, very slow and deliberate, right up to me, less than a foot from my face, and she says; “really? Well…maybe you need to refresh my memory.”   So, still in character, I say to her; “oh, ok, you gonna be like that… it was you, benson, and stabler, and ya’ll were talking about the asian girl with her foot cut off…”   This big smile creeps across her face, and she says; “I was kinda hoping that’s where you were going with that!!! [laughs] …’cause, I was a little nervous for a minute, thinking; what the heck did I do last night that I don’t remember being in this man’s house!!!”   We laughed and engaged in casual banter for a minute, then as she left, she turned and said; “next time, you need to do something to make yourself a little more memorable…”   I look over at paul, and he’s just standing there, motionless, looking at me with his mouth closed…as I assumed he’d been doing the whole time, which made me chuckle.   Finally he speaks… “brooksie, do you know her?”   “nope”, I say.   He then exclaims; “DAMN NIGGA, YOU GOT SOME BALLS!!!”, and starts laughing.

Paul has shit to do, so he eventually leaves.   The room has thinned out a bit, so there are some empty chairs.   I walk in and take seat…not realizing I had sat down right next to muthafukin chris noth - det. mike logan from ‘law & order’…

















I don’t remember how it happened, but, we ended up talking.   Not about the business or anything, just regular conversation.   I remember talking about philly for a bit….he talked about a movie that he shot here, and, how much he liked the city, and how he was contemplating buying a property here, asking my opinion of certain areas and such.   He was just a cool, unpretentious, laid-back, friendly dude.  He ended up getting the role in the movie, so I got to hang-out with him some more down in new orleans. (see previous blog for that story)

Jump ahead to new orleans.   It’s either the 1st or 2nd day shooting.   I was’nt shooting so I was just hanging-out on set as they shot a scene in the locker room.   I was watching bernie (mac) do his thing and not paying attention to the rest of the actors.   But there was a part where bernie says something to one of the other characters.   I look over to see who he was talking to… it was muthafukin paul sorvino - sgt. phil cerreta from ‘law & order’…














...now, this dude was a real character.
First off, the girls in the make-up trailer all talked about what a “dirty old man” he was… how he was always flirting and making dirty comments, and trying to “rub his old man balls” up against them whenever they had to lean in close to do his make-up. (not in a sexual-harrassment kind of way, just a dirty-old-man kind of way)

He also had a bit of a diva side.   We were shooting scenes in the dugout, and paul has a bad back or knee or something, so, whenever there were parts when he did’nt have any lines and could’nt be seen on camera, he had them set up a chair in a little room right behind the dugout, and he’d go sit there… because, apparently, sitting in that room on that chair was vastly superior to sitting in the dugout on the bench.   Oh, and there was the fan.   He constantly complained about how hot he was, so, he had his own fan set up to blow on him – yes, directly on him only -  inbetween takes.   And if a PA forgot to turn his fan on as soon as chuck yelled “cut!” paul would kindly remind them. (yes, that was sarcasm)   d’ondre whitfield was playing the role of skillet






















…and at some point he made the grievous error of absent-mindedly standing in front of mr. sorvino’s fan!!!   Well, paul barked; “Hey! You! Fella! Could you move!”   Now, d’ondre is an extremely congenial guy…very friendly, always smiling, laughing, joking…but, not right now.   He got a look on his face that let you know he was kinda pissed, but, he was also keeping a lid on his anger.   He stopped for moment, composed himself, then stepped to paul, held out his hand, and said; “hello, my name is d’ondre, I’m an actor on this film, just like you.”   Paul, visibly embarrassed, shakes his hand then says; “sorry…d’ondre, would you mind stepping from in front of the fan, please?” (not really humble, just spitting it out so d’ondre would move as quickly as possible)   d’ondre says; “see, that’s all you had to do.”   And as he walks away, we can all hear him talking aloud to himself; “…I have a name, and it’s not ‘hey fella’…you’re gonna speak to me with some respect…”     I gotta hand it to d’ondre; I don’t have much confidence that, if it were me, I would’ve been able to compose such a dignified response.  

Then, there was this other time, we were in the middle of shooting a scene, cameras rolling, when all of sudden, a cell phone begins to ring.   Now, in case you don’t know; any noise – especially a phone ringing - while cameras are rolling is probably the biggest cardinal sin you can committ on any TV or movie set.   It rings once… it rings twice… the actors are trying to carry on with the scene (just in case the rings are’nt audible on their mics and the take can still be used), but the crew is now looking in the direction of the rings… it seems to be coming from paul.   On the third ring, paul suddenly realizes it’s his phone, he jumps at the realization, and starts wriggling his butt, trying to wedge it up against the wall in some vain effort to muffle the sound (ever see a dog scratching it’s butt up against a wall? Yeah, just like that).   At that, everyone begins laughing, and chuck has no choice but to yell cut.   Paul begins apologizing profusely for ruining the take, as he tries to fish his phone out of his back pocket.   Still ringing, he looks at it and says; “oh, it’s mira…let me take this, guys…”   yes, that’s right, it was his daughter, oscar winner mira sorvino… so, naturally, we had to suspend shooting so he could have a quick chat.    

Now, my personal interactions with paul were very different.  
There’s a bunch of scenes that take place in the dugout.   I’m in all of those scenes… I did’nt have lines, I was just in the background, a “featured extra” (since I played the trainer earlier in the movie, chuck threw me a bone and put me in all of the dugout scenes, which was awesome, ‘cause it put several more weeks of pay in my pocket).   And in those scenes, I was alwys right next to paul.















(the other guy is earl billings, star of those “aflac” commercials, and golf buddy of samuel l. jackson…how do I know that? He told me so.)

In a couple of those scenes, chuck gave me “a bit of business” to do (an industry term for making it look like you’re doing something instead of just standing there) …one of them was; walk up and hand paul a clipboard, pantomime a brief conversation like we’re going over something, then walk away.   For whatever reason, they had to do about 10 takes of this scene (if I remember correctly, bernie kept fuckin’ up his line).   So, I had to do the clipboard bit 10 times.   Now, inbetween takes, paul and I had already established a jokey rapport… I mean, he loves filthy humor, so of course we’d get along just fine. (and I knew he liked me when he remembered my name)   So, just to entertain myself, I started writing & drawing silly shit on the paper before I handed it to him.   I wanted to see if, and how, he would react.   This motherfucker is such a pro, he not only kept a straight face, but he started countering my silly drawings with his own…now I was the one who had to keep a straight face!   But we’d both chuckle like little kids as soon as chuck yelled cut.   So, as far as it pertained to me, paul sorvino was an alright dude.

The last couple of ‘law & order’ alumni I got to rub elbows with 
were michael rispoli...














and courtney b. vance...
















Mike has played more characters on all 3 series than I can remember.   He was in my big scene with bernie, so we got to hang out a lot.   One day while we were hanging around outside our trailers, bouncing a ball back & forth, we got into a conversation about L&O, all the roles he’s played, which was his favorite, what the crew is like, etc.   He was a very cool dude… kinda quiet & reserved, but very cool.   I don’t really have any stories about him, except…  one night we went out to eat, it was around 3am, and the only thing we could find open was a chinese joint.   There were a bunch of kids in the booth right behind me, they kept looking back at us and I could hear them whispering.   So, I started getting myself ready for the onslaught of “whassup!” yells that I knew were coming my way.   Eventually, they turned around and one of them asked; “yo, aint you that dude from the sopranos???”   Mike, modestly, said; “yeah.”   Shocked, I looked at him and said; “you were on the sopranos???”   “yeah, I was jackie, the boss, first season…I got killed”, he said.   Holy shit… I had no clue!   Plus, I felt kinda stupid.   But, because he’s such a gracious gentleman, mike felt compelled to shine some his spotlight on me… “yeah, but, don’t you know who this guy is?”   Then the kids took a closer look at me… ”oh shit! It’s the ‘whassup!’ dude!!!”   Thanks mike… thanks a lot… the ONE time I thought I got away scott free.   After that, they mobbed our booth, taking pics with their phones, calling their friends, asking us to make voicemail messages for them… until mike politely asked them to let us eat in peace.   The kids apologized and went back to their booth, obeying the word of ‘mob boss jackie’.  

As far as courtney, my only interaction with him was at the 4th of july cookout at bernie mac’s house, which I mentioned in a previous blog… but it’s a short story, so I’ll repeat it… this takes place right after chuck and I arrive at bernie’s house, and he greets us in the vestibule…

“…bernie tells us; “angela should be right behind ya’ll, so let’s wait for her then we’ll all go in.” A minute later, angela basset shows up. We’re all saying our hello’s when I notice some dude with her, carrying some bags. When I turn to see who he is, I blurt out an involuntary; “OH SHIT!!!”  Startled, he stops in his tracks and gets a nervous “WTF?” look on his face. I had no idea that angela basset was married to courtney b. vance!!! (whom you all might know as the D.A. ron carver on “law & order: criminal intent”)  I calmly apologize for my outburst and tell him what a huge fan i am.”
  
After that, he was cool… he ended up in the rec room playing a game of pool with chuck.


 I guess if you’re casting a movie in new york city it’s gonna be impossible to avoid the horde of ‘law & order’ alumni… those shows have had the NYC acting scene on lockdown for over 20 years.   And even though I realize this now, at the time, it was freaking me out (in an awesome way) being around so many of them at the same time…




No comments:

Post a Comment